Thursday, May 21, 2009

You know you live in the country when...

... you get a call from a friend who wants you to come over to help her with a "controlled burn" in her backyard. Now, I'm from The County, and I have heard every joke under the sun, and have seen pretty much everything that gets joked about at least once, but this was a first for me. In fact, when I listened to the voice mail I wasn't sure I was hearing things correctly, and made Nichole listen to the message to confirm that what I had just heard was real. It was. I was under the assumption that I was being invited over so that I could distract her husband long enough so she could toss her mother-in-law into the fire, or that I was gonna have a candle lit dinner with the mother-in-law to distract her while her son was tossed into the fire. Turns out my assumptions were completely wrong! Good thing, I've been part of too many body burning events in my life...

What actually did happen was the burning of several years worth of Christmas trees and several pallets and sections of old fencing that was falling apart. I was basically there to toss buckets of water if for some reason the barn, deck or house sparked up. I was also there for my muscle, to help actually lift all the wood items onto the fire. Used for my muscles yet again, it's getting old to be honest. HA! In the end, everything that was intended to be burned was, and nothing else, so it was a successful "controlled burn".