Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What happened to Saturday morning cartoons?!

I remember growing up as a toddler thinking that Saturday morning cartoons were the coolest thing in the world. The Smurfs, Snorks, Scooby Doo and many others. These were good cartoons. Every Saturday morning my sister and I would run to the television to watch cartoons for hours, and they were entertaining as hell! Now what do kids have to watch for cartoons on Saturday morning? The FCC is what happened. They determined that there needed to be more educational information on for children, and mandated a minimum of 3 hours per week, and the programming slowly transitioned in the late 90's from mindless child entertainment to educational programs for children, some just a child portion of the Today Show or Good Morning America. The lone bright spot of this transition would have to be Saved By The Bell to me. Growing up we all dreamed about being one of the characters, except for maybe Screech. The babe, the brains, the fashionista, the nerd, the jock and the golden boy, you knew someone in your school that fit into each role. I still find myself watching reruns in the morning while getting ready for work. I'm pretty sure I have seen every episode, but I still love it. We recently watched High School Musical 3 with Kerrigan, and I'm almost certain that it is loosely based on Saved By The Bell. Characters are similar and the setting is obviously the same. There are some interesting parallels.