Friday, May 22, 2009

Does it really have to be that time of the month already?

My big 30th birthday is quickly approaching, in fact less than a week away at this point. I have been dreading this moment for a couple of years now, and there is absolutely nothing I can do to avoid it. Everyone tells me not to worry, it isn't a big deal, but for some reason it is for me. I mean, I can't say I am twenty-something anymore. I remember, as a kid, thinking I would never be in my 20's, and now I am about to leave them behind. It just doesn't seem possible. In an effort to make me feel better about things, everyone keeps telling me 30 is the new 20. I appreciate the effort, I really do, but it is still 30.

This morning, as I was contemplating what to write about I got to thinking about things a little, and tried putting it all in perspective. I have a great life at 30. I mean, I have a beautiful wife and daughter, we own a house in the country with two cats and a dog, we have a ton of friends, a busy social event calendar, I'm still active and playing sports, my family is nearby. I guess what I am saying is that I couldn't have planned things better than they are right now. As a kid you always see your life going a certain way, and sure, there have been some unforeseen bumps in the road along the way, but shit, life doesn't get any better than it is right now! Not only have I accepted turning 30, I am embracing it, and will enjoy every second of it.