Thursday, November 25, 2010

Things to be thankful for...

I hadn't intended to write anything today, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the many great posts on Facebook. It inspired me to tell all of you some of the many things I am thankful for. Now, family and friends are an obvious one. I have supportive and loving parents, an incredible sister, awesome grandparents, the greatest daughter and the most amazing wife, not to mention all of my wonderful aunts, uncles, cousins and in-laws of all varieties. I also have more incredible friends than one guy deserves. Obviously, I am eternally grateful for all of you guys. The following are some things that you may or may not know that I am thankful for...

Boston sports teams. The Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots and Bruins have brought much frustration to my life, but they have brought infinite amounts of joy as well. I have been a huge fan for years, and will never abandon ship. I remember dreaming of one day being the next Larry Bird, then realizing I wasn't good enough to be the next Eric Montross, but I watch every game I can, even back in the late 90's and early 2000's when the Celtics were terrible. I'll never forget the sheer pain I felt as soon as I saw the ball come of Aaron "F&cking" Boone's bat in 2003 (I still haven't actually seen the ball clear the fence), but couldn't wait to see the Red Sox get back on the field in 2004, when they eventually won the World Series. Good or bad, I'm thankful for the entertainment you provide me.

Beer. Dogfish Head, Marshall's Wharf, Geary's and Stone Brewing. I love you guys. Hell, I love most all breweries out there, and there are way too many to ever mention. Whether I am just drinking it brewing it myself, I love it. I will be forever thankful for the wonderful combination of water, hops, malt, barley and yeast.

Cheese sauce from the Great Lost Bear. If you haven't had it, what the hell are you waiting for?! It's good on everything. I might actually drink it by the pint. GLB, thank you!

Phish. I have been following the Phish boys since 1997, when I heard they were coming to Limestone for a three day festival that later turned out to be Lemonwheel. Since then, I have seen them 6 times, have purchased about a dozen cd's and downloaded a ridiculous number of songs and shows from the Internet. I love how every show is different. I love just watching the people at the shows. I love the randomness of the lyrics. There isn't much I don't like about them. I am also thankful that they decided to get back together!

The Daily Show. Jon Stewart and company have given me so much joy over the years. The way they point out all of the craziness going on in the world around us is greatly appreciated. I also love the way they mock Glenn Beck, that just never gets old. Jon, if you are reading this, I would love to have an opportunity to be one of your correspondents some day...

These are just a few of the many things I am thankful for on this Thanksgiving. I'm excited to spend the day with my family and Kerrigan, though we will be missing Nichole, while she is hanging out in Guatemala with Auntie Dawn and friends. I look forward to her safe return late Saturday evening, and hope she has a wonderful Thanksgiving south of the border. Here's hoping everyone eats themselves silly today! Happy Thanksgiving everyone, you are the best! I'm just saying...