Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A little bit of this, some of that, and a whole lot of something else...

I had every intention to give you all some happy crap today, but as my day gets more annoying, you are going to get more ranting than anything else today. I'll start with a quick recap of last night, and then it's all over...

We went to the Merrill Auditorium last night and watched those hosers, the Barenaked Ladies, perform another highly energetic, highly entertaining show. It's the first time either Nichole or I saw them, and they were a lot of fun. I knew probably 90% of the songs they played, which is always nice when you see a band for the first time. It was cool to see people of all ages there as well. I really enjoy the way they keep the banter going throughout the show, and the occasional raps are worth the price of admission. I've been a fan for years, so it was nice to finally check out a show. I would recommend checking them out, even if you only know a few songs, they are a lot of fun.

Quick public service announcement from yours truly to all pedestrians out there. If you are not in a crosswalk, or if you have a Don't Walk sign flashing in front of you, you are now fair game, and I will no longer attempt to stop. I've given you years of leeway on this, and it ends today. That doesn't mean you stop, look at me, see me coming, then put your head down and act as if you didn't see me. This also doesn't mean that because you are in a crosswalk you have the right of way. For your convenience, in the Greater Portland area, more specifically, downtown Portland, there are fancy lights that tell you when and when not to cross the street. If you can't read them, learn, your time is up. I don't care if you are a business professional, a homeless person, or an art school hipster, if you don't follow the simple pedestrian rules, you better hope you have insurance.

Four Loko, the wonderful combination of malt liquor and caffeine is in hot water due to its high ABV (6%-12% depending on state regulations) and high levels of caffeine. Four Loko is one of those fun drinks that keeps you going all night with its energy component, and gets you blind drunk with its malt liquor aspect. Sounds good, right? Turns out it has fast become the drink of choice on college campuses and among high school students because it is dirt cheap and potent. When alcohol and caffeine are combined people report feeling reduced sensations typically associated with alcohol believed to result from caffeine counteracting the depressive effects thus keeping the individual more alert. However, when the caffeine wears off the person feels the full effects of the alcohol. Then we find ourselves drinking in excess because we still don't feel drunk, then bam! Completely destroyed! Now, do I think it needs to be banned? I'm indifferent. I see it as no different than Vodka and Red Bull or Jager Bombs. I would never drink Four Loko, so it doesn't bother me. Though, if I had to choose a side, I say ban it.

Word just came through that Lisa Murkowski, the right in candidate in the Alaska Senate race, pulled out the win, over Sarah Palin endorsed Joe Miller. I'm also hearing that Palin is strongly considering running for President in 2012, not that this comes as a surprise to anybody that follows politics. I'll give my two cents on the subject, and I feel it's not too far off. If you can't get enough people to vote for the candidate you endorsed in your home state, I don't see how you have a snowballs chance in hell winning in the primary, let alone the Presidency. Besides, wouldn't you rather be hanging out in the Alaskan wilderness than in an office? I mean, you did say that, right?

Speaking of the Palin's, did you see that Bristol is still doing her thing on Dancing With The Stars? I'll be honest, I have never watched that show. In fact, I would actually kick my own ass if I did. However, I stay on top of all this pop culture stuff, and I have seen that she has been one of the lowest scoring dancers week in and week out, and she is still there. Now, I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but me thinks something is going on here. Did the Palin's pay the producers to keep her around as long as possible to keep the Palin name in the headlines?

I noticed on Twitter today that Eva Longoria has filed divorce from her basketball playing husband, Tony Parker. Apparently they have a few "irreconcilable differences" that they are unable to work out. I'm guessing one is that she is smoking hot, and he has not been nearly as good on the basketball court as she once thought he would be. She sees the writing on the wall, she will be fully supporting him within 5 years, and she ain't having it. The good news is, if Nichole lets me, I have a chance again! I'm just saying...