Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New year, new resolutions to break, right?

Here we are, starting another year. There is nothing like it. The feeling of a fresh start, a chance to get things right. We always set goals for ourselves and plan to do this or that, and then we look back, a year later, and beat ourselves up for our lack of discipline or our inability to follow through with the previous years resolution. This year is different we always say, I'm gonna stick with it, I swear. But we never do. And here we are, starting the whole, silly, process all over again. So what is it this year, going to the gym more? Eating better? Making more money?

Let's be honest, those aren't resolutions, they are goals we all have. Resolutions should be farther reaching, more life changing desires, in my opinion. For example, this year, I want to orchestrate at least one large fund raiser. Why a large fundraiser you ask. It's simple, I want to help make a difference in someone elses life, other than my own. Sure, I could donate some old gloves or a jacket to a local charity, but I want to do more than that.

Now, I'm going to tell you a story, and I'm not even sure how to approach this. See, I just recently found out that my father has prostate cancer. I got the news on the Tuesday before Christmas. I had known he had gone in for some tests and that he had an appointment to find out his results. I knew they wouldn't invite him in for a champagne toast for coming back clean, so I was bracing for his phone call that evening. I listened to his voicemail as I was leaving Kerrigan's basketball practice, and called him back as soon as we got home. It was as I had suspected, he needed surgery to try to kick it, and he wanted to get it done quickly, put the whole thing behind him. I couldn't agree with him more. Get in, get it dealt with, and get back on with life. Am I a bit freaked out by the whole thing, absolutely. Have I wiped a tear or two from my face at the most random of times since finding out, you bet. But, what I am hanging my hat on is that my dad is the strongest person I know, and he will be back on his feet in no time at all.

Anyways, the reason I tell you this is because this has inspired me to try to do more for the people around me. Nobody is immune to cancer, it can and will happen to many of us. If I can put together a charity event that helps to both raise money and awareness, then I'm doing my part to help. I hope that many of you out there can help me raise money when the time comes, or are able to do your part to make the world a better place, because that is what our New Year's Resolutions should be all about. I'm just saying...