Monday, January 24, 2011

Your daily reminder that you have it better than others...

If I'm ever feeling down in the dumps, I like to go to Wal-Mart.  No, not because I can "Save Money, Live Better", but because you are guaranteed to see at least half a dozen (conservative number, it's more like two dozen) people that will make you feel so much better about yourself.  Don't believe me?  Try it.  Some Friday night or Saturday morning, when you have nothing else to do, take a ride to your local Wal-Mart.  Walk around the store for 20 minutes, and you will leave feeling better about yourself than you have in a long time.  If, for some reason, that doesn't help, check this site out...

Now, if that doesn't work, another thing I try is reading the local news.  Well, the following story would certainly help me feel a little better.  A Portland man was arrested over the weekend for allegedly attacking his roommate (and drinking buddy) with a hammer.  The older roommate, 60, decided to beat his younger roommate with a hammer because they got into a fight over "who was crazier".  I'm not making this up!  I wonder if they ever determined who the winner was before one went for a ride in the cop car and the other in an ambulance?  I don't know about you, but the suspense is killing me!

If neither of the above mentioned methods work, I go for a walk.  Chances are pretty good, especially in a more populated area, that someone will do something that helps you put things in perspective a little bit.  For example, there is the guy in this picture.  This is an actual picture, submitted by faithful reader Dawn in Alexandria, VA, taken in the middle of the afternoon.  Dude is passed out drunk, and it is way too early in the day to be in this bad of shape.    Don't get me wrong, I've been drunk in public before.  Heck, I've been drunk in the same neighboorhood this guy is in.  Fortunately for me, I  have never provided anyone with a great picture like this.  Thanks, big guy, I feel better already!


As you can see, there is no reason to feel sorry for yourself.  There are always ways to make yourself feel much better.  As the saying goes, it could always be worse.  Unless, of course, you find yourself wearing a mesh shirt and thong to Wal-Mart, beat your roommate with a hammer, or make an ass of yourself in public.  If that's the case, I've got nothing for you.  I'm just saying...