Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A running list of questions I have today...

I've been quiet for a while.  Now, there are a few reasons for this.  Weather and work have kept me very busy.  Also, I've been trying to digest some of the recent news, both locally and nationally, before I gave my position on things.  Well, I'm ready to react, but, to be honest, I have more questions than anything else.  Here we go...

I'm not a gun person, but I understand that the right to bear arms is a constituted right.  Without giving me talking points, which I can get on Fox News, what is the need for all of these massive guns with giant magazines holding many rounds of ammunition?  Is it necessary for me to be able to purchase an Uzi, which can shoot off 600 rounds per minute?  What sort of crazy animal are people trying to hunt?  I feel like there is really no reasonable need to have these, or others like them, available in the marketplace.  Can somebody please explain this to me?  While we are on the subject of guns, why do you need to carry them in public?  I know you have the right, but why do you NEED to do it?  I have the right to troll the high school parking lot for 18 year old girls to bring home with me, but it doesn't mean I'm going to!

Why do Governor LePage supporters not only give him a free pass with each lie, but also applaud his inability to think before he talks?  Have we lowered our standards so much that any way we get Maine into the national spotlight is a good thing?  His latest comment, "kiss my butt", which was made in reference to the NAACP, just a day before Martin Luther King Day, made national headlines.  I'm sorry, but that is not cool.  Please make headlines for doing positive things for Mainers, not for being a foul mouthed knucklehead.  Please Mr. LePage, try being honest and thoughtful, even if it is just for the next four years. 

Why does Sarah Palin always think she is the victim?  Nobody is blaming her for the shooting in Arizona.  Yes, it has been brought up that using crosshairs on a map that targeted Giffords' district was in bad taste, but it wasn't the reason the congresswoman, and others, were shot.  Instead of putting forward an 8 minute video that tried to make us feel bad for Palin, why couldn't she have admitted that, while others have done similar things in the past, she realizes the crosshairs map was in bad taste and she wishes Giffords a speedy recovery?  Why couldn't she use her platform to ask others to speak and act more civily when discussing points of disagreement?  Oh, and can we stop calling her Governor Palin!?  She quit that post.  I was my high school class Vice President, so if we are going to call her Governor Palin, I expect you all to call me Mr. Vice President from now on, thanks.

Again, if someone can give me some answers on this, I would be very grateful.  I've talked to a few people, but I just get talking points.  I have lots of other questions, but I'll keep it at that today.  I look forward to some reasonable thoughts and ideas.  Let me have it people!  I'm just saying...