Friday, January 21, 2011

What do you think of when I say the word "chain"?

Chain.  Not the type of fence.  Not that letter you used to get when you were a kid.  Not that thing you use to tie someone to the bed so that you can, oh, wait, sorry about that.  I'm talking about chain restaurants.  You know what I mean.  McDonald's is a chain.  Subway is a chain.  Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks are chains.  Many of these chains can be found in Portland's historic Old Port District.  We frequent them often to get our caffeine fix or for a quick sandwich at lunch time.  Well, it sounds like we are adding a new chain to the mix, and one that will do quite well, I think.  Five Guys Burgers and Fries will be taking over the location that has seen such hot spots as Diggers and, more recently, Prost.  What is Five Guys you ask?  Well, it's a burger and fry joint that will put a hurting to Bill's Pizza as the crowd from the Old Port looks for some food to soak up all that booze.  Cool, right?  I mean, heck yeah.  It's about 30 feet from where I park my car every day for work, so I'm sure I'll check it out from time to time.  However, I also have a slight problem with this.  Let me explain...

Do you remember, about 4 years ago, when Hooters wanted to move to Portland, and move into the location that is now Binga's Stadium?  Everyone knows about Hooters, right?  It's the restaurant made famous for its chicken wings and female servers in tightly clad shorts and t-shirts.  If I'm not mistaken, Maine is only 1 of 4 states in the entire country that doesn't have a Hooters.  Well, the fine city of Portland decided to keep it that way, by voting 6–3 to impose a moratorium on formula restaurants in that part of the city for a couple of months.  The moratorium only applies to chains that have at least 30 restaurants in the United States.  In other words, the mere idea of a Hooters scared the city so bad they made up a horse shit excuse to keep it out.  Let's ignore the fact that there are 2 Starbucks, 3 Dunkin Donuts, a Subway, and I'm sure other chains in this same area.  Now, just a few years later, it's totally cool to bring in a new chain. 

Can someone explain to me the rationale here?  I know that it is because the city was scared about the idea of a Hooters.  I'm curious if any of the 9 members of the City Council that voted have ever been to one before.  It's not like you are walking into a strip club and hookers are carrying buckets of wings around in their cleavage.  It's not even close to that.  I've been to many places that allow their wait staff to wear whatever they want, and it's been much more revealing than the Hooter's uniform.  I'm not advocating for a Hooters, that's not at all my point.  I'm just annoyed by the fact that we have a down town that is full of chains, and is welcoming new ones still, but denied bringing a business that would have brought with it 50 or more jobs, all because they didn't want chains in the Old Port.  It's cool, we don't need the jobs, don't worry.  I'm just saying...