Friday, August 28, 2009

Speaking of milestones...

Woke up this morning with a little pep in my step, a little hitch in my giddyup, a little, well, you get the point. I felt good is what I'm trying to say. Why you ask? Well, it's Friday, it's a short work day, we have Kerrigan this weekend, we are going to check out Ray LaMontagne and Rustic Overtones tomorrow night, AND Sunday is anniversary numero uno for Marcole! Why wouldn't I be feeling good! And what do I do when I'm feeling good at home in the morning? I crank 80's hairbands, of course! This got me thinking about all the good, and some bad, that came out of the 1980's. Here are a few highs and lows, and feel free to add some of your own...

GOOD - Poison / Motley Crue / Guns'n'Roses. Dude, seriously, these guys were like my rock gods of the 80's. They could do no wrong in my estimation. Rocking songs, power ballads, they all ruled. I mean, seriously, Nothin' But a Good Time, Sweet Child of Mine and Girls, Girls, Girls, amazing!

BAD - Howard the Duck. Does anybody else remember that movie? It's about a duck with human like characteristics that tumbles from the sky (supposedly from a planet of other duck like creatures) and lands in Cleveland of all places. George Lucas, of all people, is responsible for this little gem, and if it weren't for the fact that he struck gold with nearly everything else he did, he probably would have called it quits right then and there. Two words... duck tits.



GOOD - Garbage Pail Kids. Who can forget Adam Bomb, Up Chuck or Dead Ted?! These collectors cards were like gold when we were kids. These cards were such a commercial success that they tried doing a film and television series, both of which flopped. However, the Garbage Pail Kids are still around today, with a new series of cards was released earlier this month. Foul Phil, Valerie Vomit and Ali Gator live on!




BAD - Manglors. Anyone remember this horrible little toy? It was basically a rubber like toy that would always go back to its original shape, no matter what you did to it. Apparently you could even rip its extremities off, and they would just reattach. Right... Something tells me this toy sucked...



GOOD - Nintendo. I don't have to explain how awesome the Nintendo Entertainment System was, do I? I mean, really, the coolest gaming system ever. Who gives a crap about graphics when you have games like "Super Mario Bros", "Mike Tyson's Punchout" and "Excitebike". I still have mine today!



BAD - 1986 World Series. This still haunts me, despite the fact that I was only 7. Bill Buckner. Ugh



GOOD - Larry Bird. If ever there was a man crush, this was my ultimate one. I was obsessed with Larry Bird in the 80's. He was Mr. Celtic, and his nickname says it all, Larry Legend.




Let me know your thoughts...