Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What to do with all this time...

So I've recently joined the ranks of so many others during this down economy, unemployed. When you work for a company that is totally economy driven, this sort of thing is bound to happen. Many people have said to me, you were the finance guy, this couldn't have come as a surprise, right? Wrong. Ownership has been putting cash bandaids on things since I joined the company 17 months ago, so while I knew how shitty things looked, bailouts were always forthcoming. I would inform them of the upcoming cash outlook and they would toss some money in to make things work. Well, the time finally came that they were tired of doing this, and we were informed last Thursday that we needed to go home, as they couldn't afford to pay us, not just going forward, but for the week that we had just worked. FUN!

So now, I sit in my newly arranged home office, sending out resumes to everyone from Augusta to Portsmouth. I have many options in front of me, and have no idea which direction I want to go. I've been doing some consulting for small businesses on the side for a while now, maintaining books for those that don't have time for it. I am considering ramping that up and trying to grow my client base. Then there is going back to school to get my MBA, or studying for the CPA. Now is a great time to go back to school as the economy sucks balls and by the time I finish school I would be looking for a higher paying job in a market that will be ramping back up. There is also the idea that I can get a full time job doing any number of things, most likely accounting, and go back to life as it was.

For the time being, I will continue to apply for full time work, try to build up my client base, speak with some local schools about their MBA programs, work on some projects from home that I have needed to get done for a while and enjoy a little down time. What I will ultimately do going forward will depend on what offers are out there and what makes the most sense for Team Marcole. I'm ready to get good and drunk too!