Thursday, March 12, 2009

Do I really need to keep that box full of comic books?

So, times are tough. I know you don't need me to tell you that, but I just did. Places like Walmart and Goodwill are doing very well, while places such as Starbucks and Bloomingdale's see their numbers drop. People are simply trying to spend less, save more, and come out of this piss poor economy with more than just the shirt on their back. For some, including yours truly, the economy has cost them their job. Saving has become a thing of the past, and you have to approach everything from a completely different angle. I have found myself, on more than one occasion, rummaging around the house looking for things to pawn on eBay or craigslist. Here are just a few of the items I have considered selling...

- Old comic books. Seriously, make fun of me if you want, but they are from when I was in middle school. Characters like Spiderman and the Punisher were big, and Spawn and Venom were just hitting the shelves for the first time. Comics were hot back then, but I have absolutely no idea what they are going for these days. They are most likely worthless.

- Baseball cards. I have a shit load, including many that WERE worth a lot of money at one point in time. Barry Bonds rookie = worthless. Mark McGwire rookie = worthless. I have a bunch of cards from the early 90's, in both basketball and baseball. One would think they would be worth some money, but this is at about the time that sports card companies started making WAY too many of each card, driving their value way down, as they were much easier to get. I do have a bunch of old school Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan cards that have probably maintained their value, but I hope to put Kerrigan through UNC with that fortune some day.

- Old video games. I still have every gaming system I ever had, with the exception of the old Sega Genesis, can't find that one anywhere. I have the original Nintendo, Gameboy, and Playstation. I have a bunch of games, for all platforms. Now that we own the Wii, we can download all the games from the original systems, so there isn't much need for them anymore. Here's hoping that some nostalgia nerd out there has money to give me!

- Old school Playboy magazines. I really don't have these, but I bet they are worth some money!

- My pint glass collection. I have nearly 300 different pint glasses from all over the world. If I sold them each for $2.00 each, well, you can do the math. Not too shabby. When you think about the return on my investment, that is even better. Why you ask? Well, I "was given" most all of them. I would call myself mildly obsessed with them, and often find myself tossing a clean napkin in the bottom of a glass and either tucking it discretely into my pocket, or handing off to my partner in crime to place it in her purse. We have made it an art form!

I guess I have some options if things don't turn around soon!