Thursday, May 13, 2010

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

For those of you who follow the blog and read on Tuesday when I talked about how I was having a bad day because I couldn't get my printer to work, well, Wednesday kicked Tuesday's ass! I woke up shortly before the alarm was set to go off to use the bathroom. I decided to lay back down and try to catch a few more minutes of shut eye before the horrible sound of the alarm woke me for the day. One hour and nine minutes later I roll over and look out the window. A sense of nervousness takes over my body and I reach for my cell phone to see what time it was. Ah, crap! I woke up an hour later than normal, which isn't a huge deal, except that I need to shower, make lunches and snacks for the day, bring Kerrigan over to her mother's house and get gas for the car. I wake up Kerrigan and tell her to get moving, ask Nichole to make snacks and lunches for me and go to jump in the shower...

DAMNIT!

Quick flashback. We have been having issues with our furnace running all day, even when the thermostats are turned all the way down. To remedy that, we typically turn our furnace off after our showers in the morning, and then turn it back on before we go to bed at night. On Tuesday night, when we got home from work, we walked in to a very warm house, so we turned the furnace off. When I woke up late on Wednesday I didn't turn it back on, so we had no hot water for a minimum of 15 minutes. At this point I have no choice but to pack Kerrigan's snack, grab her and go.

Just before I get ready to head out the door, Nichole yells up from the basement, and I quote, "did it rain last night?". Shit, that can't be good! It certainly didn't rain last night, but we had a basement full of water! You have got to be freaking kidding me! I run downstairs and the water is all over the place. We had three loads of laundry that were either in the washing machine or on the floor in front of the washer that were now, not only still dirty, but soaking wet. The good news is that nothing got ruined, the bad news is we have a very wet basement and neither one of us has a clue how to get into the inner workings of the washing machine, and even if we did, we don't know what the heck we are looking for!

Well, I had to leave. I have to get gas, as the gas light came on the night before, so there is one thing that slows me down. On two separate occasions I have a cop following me, causing me to go the speed limit. Then we get stuck behind a school bus for a few miles. If it could go wrong, it did. I go as fast as I am able to and get back home at 8:00 AM. I head back downstairs to tinker with the washer. I tear it all apart and can't quite figure out what is going on. We decide to call a friend to have him come check it out, see if he can determine what the deal is. Turns out it was something simple, it was a bobby pin caught, not allowing the spin cycle to happen correctly, causing water to continue to fill and spill over the top and pour out. Lesson learned, take two seconds to make sure pockets are empty before washing begins. Thursday has to be better, right? I'm just saying...