Thursday, May 6, 2010

My mower couldn't cut its way out of a bag made of grass...

I really enjoy mowing the lawn and doing other yard work. It is very rewarding, a great way to enjoy a beautiful day, and can also be good exercise. Well, it's that time of year, you know, the time where the grass grows so quickly you basically finish and have to start cutting it again. We were mad busy last summer and I, admittedly, didn't do a very good job keeping up with the lawn. I have vowed to have the best looking yard in the neighborhood this year, and I am off to a horrible start! I have mowed once, but the grass is creeping up on hayfield levels and I am running into problems with my damn mower again.

We bought this mower new a couple of summers ago. We have a fairly basic lawn, bordering on too big for a push mower and too small for a rider, but there is nothing about our lawn that should cause too much stress for the push mower we have. I cut the grass with said mower a couple of weekends ago, with very few problems. I then attempted to get it done last weekend and was unable to get more than a pass or two done before the mower would stall. I would give it a break, maybe 10 minutes, then go back and get a couple more strips of the lawn done before it stalled again. After spending about an hour and a half, getting not even half of the front lawn complete, I push the mower back into the basement, mumbling many a curse word under my breath, and call it a day.

Well, I pulled the mower back out last night in an attempt to, at the very least, finish the front lawn last night, and I had more of the same problems. It starts up, runs sluggish for about 2 minutes, then stalls out. It has fresh, new oil in it, I have gassed it up and I have it set on the highest setting, so the length of grass shouldn't cause it to get too stressed out. What the flipping crap! I'm going to tear it apart tonight and clean it out, see if there is a family of mice living inside of the carburetor. I mean, the mower is only two years old, and I barely used it last summer. It can't be dying on me already. I'm trying to decide if it makes more sense to fix it, buy a new push, or take the plunge and buy a used rider. Either way, our lawn is getting close to the point where the dog will completely disappear when he goes out to drop a steamer. I'm just saying...