Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Let's celebrate the Mexicans! Well, some of us...

In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I wanted to give a little shout out to our neighbors to the south of the border. We crazy Americans celebrate this Tequila and Corona infused holiday by, well, drinking. Cantina's across this nation will be pouring many a margarita today. At our house, we probably won't be tossing back any drinks, but we will be enjoying some fine tacos as our little tribute. Other people have different tributes in mind...

The Phoenix Suns are honoring Mexico in a different way, and I really like it. They will be wearing their "Los Suns" jerseys for tonight's game against the San Antonio Spurs. They want to honor the rich Latino tradition in Arizona, as well as the rest of the nation, including the sporting community. They also want to make a political point, as they find the new law there flawed. Steve Nash, point guard for the Suns, summed it up well, "I think the law is very misguided. I think it's, unfortunately, to the detriment of our society and our civil liberties. I think it's very important for us to stand up for things we believe in. As a team and as an organization, we have a lot of love and support for all of our fans. The league is very multicultural. We have players from all over the world, and our Latino community here is very strong and important to us." I just adopted the Suns as my team in the Western Conference, I think it is great that they are making a statement.

So, in honor of our Mexican friends to the south, raise your shot of Jose Cuervo, your taco or your Corona, and thank them for giving us another drinking holiday in the states. Which reminds me, does everyone say they are Mexican on Cinco de Mayo, kinda like everyone claims to be Irish on St Patty's Day? If so, better carry your papers! I'm just saying...