Friday, February 19, 2010

Mark vs. Food, do I have what it takes?!

I'm a big fan of Adam Richman and the Travel Channel's Man vs. Food program. I love seeing all the different eating establishments and pig out spots around the country. We he and his crew came to Boston, one stop he made was at Eagle's Deli, in Brighton, near the BC campus. Should I attempt the Chillerama burger, 5 lbs of meat, 20 slices of cheese and 18 slices of bacon? If you can choke down this bad boy in an hour, you can ignore the $50 price tag and it's all yours, free of charge. Could be a pretty costly mistake, but a really good way to rid myself from a self induced hangover, or to REALLY coat my stomach for the Extreme Beer Festival tomorrow. Hmmmm...

Now, what are the chances of getting Man vs. Food to bring their road show up to Portland? Do we have any local food eating challenges? All I can think of right off the top of my head is the Federal Deficit at Governor's. However, this has gotten me thinking about where Adam could go if he did make a trip to Portland. Where could he get some really good food, in a neat atmosphere. What local spots really represent the best of Portland? I have three thoughts, tell me what you think...

1. The Great Lost Bear. I'm craving it just thinking about it. With 60 plus taps on the wall, and a wide ranging menu, GLB isn't just good, it's become a destination for anyone who likes either beer or food. This place is exactly the type of pig out spot Man vs Food usually checks out. Poorly lit, an amazing list of local brews, giant plates of food and cheese sauce, sign me up!

2. The Portland Lobster Co. If you want a great lobster roll with an equally enjoyable view, head to Portland Lobster Co. It's on the water and they have an amazing selection of locally harvested seafood, from lobster and shrimp to steamers and mussels, they will satisfy any seafood craving you may have. They make a kick ass grilled cheese sandwich too. Grab some grub, a local beer and hit the deck on any Saturday or Sunday night during the summer and take in some music from any number of local musicians. Now that is Portland.

3. Silly's. For me, this place is the shit. Vegan, no problem. Carnivore, got ya covered. Hipster, PBR by the can. Elvis fan, it's your dream come true. This place has a little bit of everything, all rolled into one tiny space, a tiny space that has more to look at than you have time to check out. For me, it's a milkshake and their version of buffalo chicken and fries. It's fangoddamntastic! Check it out in the summer, when you can leash your doggy friend to a table on the patio and enjoy a meal while under the shade of a tree. You will leave full and happy, I promise you.

Now, these places don't have eating challenges, though I think they should. They just happen to be a few of my favorite spots, and places I think sum up Portland pretty well, and are the type of place Adam Richman typically goes to. Anyone have other thoughts? All this talk about food has me hungry, but I need to save myself for the giant bacon cheese burger! I'm just saying...