Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I don't know you, but I already know too much about you...

Ah, the gym. There is nothing better than getting in a good workout at the gym. Whether you go to the local YMCA, Planet Fitness, Globo, Average Joe's or the one in your very own basement, there is no better feeling than getting the heart rate up and working up a good sweat. Morning, afternoon or night, it makes no difference, it's typically pretty busy, filled with both out of shape people and those that are in such good shape you want to punch them. Everyone is working towards different individual goals, but the end results are all the same, getting into better shape, or maintaining your current level of fitness.

We go to the YMCA in New Gloucester, located at the Pineland campus. It's perfect. It's right down the road from us, it has a swimming pool, basketball court and all of our preferred exercise equipment. It even has a 4 lane candle pin bowling alley! There are tons of local trails for hiking, mountain biking and cross country skiing. It's a wonderful setting, and a great little gym. Our membership also allows us to use the Freeport and Portland YMCA's, so it's really a great deal for us. The hours aren't great, but we make it work.

Speaking of making it work, we went this morning, getting there when they opened at 6AM. I got in a little over two miles on the treadmill and played some basketball. It felt good and woke me right up for the long day ahead. Now, since we had to go straight to work after, we brought our shower stuff and work clothes. I cleaned up in my little shower stall, got dressed, shaved and got myself already. No problems. But what is the deal with people just hanging out naked in the locker room?! Just walking around, having conversations, no towel around their waist, not even a pair of tighty whiteys?! Dude, I don't even know your name, I don't really want to have a conversation with you about your neighbor while you towel off your man parts. Am I alone in this? When did this become socially acceptable? Is this normal? And why is it usually older men, the one's that gravity and time have been least kind to? Do me, and everyone else that hasn't eaten breakfast yet a favor, cover up! I'm just saying...