Monday, July 27, 2009

Rants and raves...

I haven't gotten nearly enough sleep in the past few days, so I am going to rant for a few minutes, so please bare with me. Here is something that has been driving me nuts from the news from the past week...

Cambridge police officer in hot water for "racial profiling".

OK, this is just ridiculous. A white police officer, responding to a call about a possible break in questions an African-American professor from Harvard. Henry Louis Gates Jr, the Harvard professor, just back from a trip, was trying to get into his house, when a woman who worked down the road saw a couple of men trying to push open a door with their shoulder's and called 911. When Sgt James Crowley of the Cambridge, Mass police department responded to the call, Crowley reported he told Gates he was investigating a break-in and an angry Gates replied, "Why, because I am a black man in America?" Now, I've never been a black man in America, so I don't really understand what it is they have had to deal with over the years from ignorant, insensitive people. That being said, this is complete crap. Crowley was acting completely by the books, and has a track record of being an upstanding cop. In my opinion, Gates is the one who brought race into the situation. This situation had absolutely nothing to do with race. If this had been a black cop arresting a black man, no story. If this had been a white cop arresting a white man, no story. Because it was a white cop arresting a black man, it has turned into a story. Had Gates just shut his mouth and did what the police officer has asked him to do, this would have never happened, I'm just saying...