Thursday, June 24, 2010

Shhh, don't tell anyone...

So I am about to do something I wouldn't normally do, but it's fitting, considering the events that took place this morning. I don't typically toss myself in front of the proverbial bus, or make fun of myself, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. To sort of tie in yesterday's blog, I spend a great deal of time in a car. It's hard to guess exactly how many hours I've spent behind the wheel in my life, but I'm guessing it's a large number. All that being said, there is one thing I cannot claim, and it came up this morning.

Our usual ride, the CRV, is in need of some brake work as well as needing a belt replaced. Good friend Nick Pawloski and his new business Tires To You - Mobile Tire Sales and Service (plug, plug), is taking the CRV apart in his driveway and fixing it up good for us. In return, he let us bring his car into work until he was able to finish up. Cool, right? Absolutely, except for one tiny catch, and this is where you will make fun of me...

... I haven't driven a standard in about 10 years, unless you include that one time I drove my sister's Xterra, very poorly I might add, about 5 years ago. I've never had one, and never really been taught. My buddy Matt briefly showed me once in college, but I haven't really driven a standard since then, so it has been lost on me at this point. It's not so much that I can't do it, because I can, it's a mental thing, I have a mini panic attack whenever I have to stop, especially if there is ANY kind of incline. Ridiculous, I know! I would be fine, but I let myself over think everything and then I screw it up.

So, anyways, long story short, I had to have Nichole drive us to my parking garage. To make matters worse, she had to call her boss to explain why she was going to be late and just HAD to tell him that it's because I can't drive the car. Sorry Brad! I guess if anyone wants to teach me, I'm all yours! I'm just saying...