Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Can someone tell me what this vampire stuff is all about?!

Twilight. Just say that word and a certain portion of the population gets all warm and fuzzy inside. Others will know what you are talking about, and a smaller portion of people will have no idea what you are saying. I fall into the last category. Twilight, to me, is that time just before sunrise, or right after sunset, when the sun is just below the horizon. Apparently it means something completely different to fans of vampires.

The Twilight series has captured the minds and hearts of fans of all ages and the hysteria isn't about to stop. People have been camping outside of the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles for days in anticipation of the opening of "Eclipse", the newest addition to the big screen adaptations. Apparently even here in Portland, people have been seen around town dressed up as vampires. This is all pretty crazy if you ask me, but it gets worse...

The LA Times has been doing a little homework surrounding these obsessed fans, and found women who have nearly lost their marriages by neglecting their husbands in favor of Twilight fan sites, blogs, and message boards. One woman even went on and on about how she's seen the movies "over 300 times." So called "Twi-Moms" are popping up everywhere with their "Team Edward" or "Team Jacob" shirts. Even some dudes are getting into the mix now.

Can you imagine ruining your relationship over a movie about made up stuff?! I mean, vampires?! I have obsessions, but at least it's something real, something I can do myself. I can teach my daughter the skills needed to play sports, have her watch current athletes to help teach her different things. Vampires, um, well, they bite people with their oddly shaped teeth. I don't want my kid doing that! I'm just saying...