Monday, December 21, 2009

It's that time of year again, overeating time!

We always welcome lots of things this time of year. Family coming to visit, fluffy white snow and cold temperatures are a common thing around the holidays. The other thing we always find ourselves getting way into is indulging in sweets, treats and lots of good eats. We are out shopping, grabbing a quick bite on the go, or hitting up the holiday parties and checking out the snack spread. I thought I might share today a few of my favorite holiday treats, or some random snacks I'm digging recently, all of which you should definitely give a try...

Peanut Butter Balls - I have made these little balls of goodness for about 15 years now. Growing up, my mother would make them annually around the holidays, and I would pretty much hide the container in my room and eat them all. Once I got into high school she handed that torch down to me, and I started making them going forward at that point. They are awesome. Dude, chocolate and peanut butter, is there a better combination?

Chocolate Covered Bacon - OK, so maybe there is a better combination. I know what you may be thinking here, that sounds gross. Let me tell you something, you are mighty wrong! Tried my first strip of awesome, I mean bacon covered in chocolate, last week at Black Tie Bistro, a local eatery I frequent in Portland. The woman behind the counter could see a bit of the excitement in my face when I realized what it was I was looking at. I had one bite and now I am hooked! I'll be making some this evening if anyone wants to try some!

Lil' Smokies - These tiny hot dog like things are one of my absolute favorites, and my grandmother has prepared them for Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember. For some reason, I never think of making them any other time of the year, but I might have to start. Simple and tasty, what more can you ask for.

My mother's homemade cinnamon rolls - Holy crapstick these are good! She makes them a couple of times a year usually, but always around the holidays. These aren't the gooey, icing covered ones. These are the old school kind that are covered in cinnamon and sugar, and are so damn good it isn't even right. Can't wait to have some later this week!

Eggnog - In my opinion, nasty. Nichole would beg to differ though. This is a favorite of hers. I'm not sure why I have never liked it. Could be the heavy feeling when it sits in my stomach. Could be that I once drank some spoiled eggnog and threw up for two straight days. It could even be that I once drank it with a bunch of whiskey in it, didn't know that, and threw up for two straight days. I'm just not sure.

Tequila shots - What you ask?! Stevens family tradition is to celebrate holidays, birthday and togetherness with tequila shots. Not sure how this started, but we haven't missed a gathering in years. Sometimes it's only one shot, other times, depending on the crowd, it's more, possibly many more. For those in the family that refuse the tequila, I will have some of my homemade Kahlua on hand. Nothing screams family tradition like licking salt of your hand and the clanging of shot glasses!

What do you think of for treats around this time of year? Do you have traditional family foods you look forward to? Oh, and if anyone wants to hit the gym with me after all this imbibing, I'll be at the YMCA in New Gloucester starting January 1 until my body gets rid of the dickydo! I'm just saying...