Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Texas DNA exonerees find wealth after prison...

So, in Texas, people that are found to be innocent of crimes they have been previously convicted of committing will get $80,000 for each year they spent behind bars. The compensation also includes lifetime annuity payments that for most of the wrongly convicted are worth between $40,000 and $50,000 a year — making it by far the nation's most generous package.

OK, wait, what?! Now, I realize that being wrongfully accused of rape or burglary can destroy a person's life. Many of these exonerees have spent over 20 years in prison, and that is awful, I'm never going to argue that. However, I do have a problem with them being rightfully set free and inheriting upwards of $1.5 million. Again, I've never been charged with a crime, especially one that requires jail time. I've also never been wrongfully charged and spent 20 plus years in prison for something I wasn't a part of. That being said, why is Texas making them instant millionaires? Seems a little excessive to me. I have absolutely no problem with the state offering them job training, tuition credits and access to health care, which is also part of the deal. These people, in most cases, have lost the last 20 or so years of their lives, and wrongfully so. I'm all about getting them back on their feet and steering them back to a life of "normalcy". What I'm not all about is making a former prisoner a millionaire.

Let's take it a step further. Who is funding this? I would have to assume the state of Texas, through taxing the general public. I find this to be a horrible use of much needed funds. Why not give more funding to the school systems? Our teachers are grossly underpaid. We are hoping that our children will be future leaders, and I feel that they should have every opportunity imaginable, and most children don't have the opportunities because their school is underfunded and can't afford laptops or other important technologies in the classroom. They are unable to go on educational field trips to learn about important things going on around them. Some can't even afford new text books, in some cases teaching children out dated information.

I'm open to hear your side of this story. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying...