Monday, September 14, 2009

I can't believe I'm really about to say this...

I'm a life long Boston Celtics fan. I have cheered them on when they were 67-15 back in 1985-86 with my all time favorite player Larry Bird, as well as in 1996-97 when they were freaking horrible at 15-67. I have jerseys, books, videos and any other piece of memorabilia you could imagine. For me, it was all Celtics all the time. Everyone else was garbage to me. That being said, I can finally admit that Michael Jordan was the greatest player to ever play the game of basketball. It has taken me a long time to be able to actually say those words, but I can admit it. He was downright amazing.

This past week marked Jordan's enshrinement into the NBA Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass. I was unable to see the actual ceremony, but have heard so much about how bitter and petty Jordan sounded in his speech. Having despised him for so long, I was rather excited to check out the youtube video so I could continue my hating ways. Well, despite all that I had heard, I didn't find it to be any of the above. Jordan was a super competitive person. When you have accomplished everything you ever wanted to, you have to look for new things to motivate you. Think about it, you are rich, have hundreds of records, championships, and everything else you could ever want, what do you use for motivation? You look for it in new places, places that may seem odd to you and I, but we will never fully understand what it is like to be the greatest player to ever touch a basketball. I wanted to be writing this about how much I thought Jordan was an ungrateful punk and it turned out that I actually have a greater respect for him. He was open, honest, and wore his emotions on his sleeve, and even made people laugh. So, I congratulate you Mr. Jordan. Now if you could just get some good talent up here with the Red Claws, and make a few guest appearances, that would be sweet! I'm just saying...