Thursday, September 17, 2009

A slice of nice, that's good to see...

The below clip is taking the viral world by storm, and with good reason, it's a feel good video. We live in an extremely divided country right now, where everyone seems to be bickering about something, the news shows nothing but fighting and death, and celebrities are passing away at an alarming rate. This is just what America needed, something warm and fuzzy to talk about. Thank you Monforto family, I know you didn't do it on purpose, but thank you.



Now this got me to thinking about what would happen if I caught a foul ball at a game with Kerrigan. At this point, Kerrigan is 7 years old. She would, I think, know better than to toss a ball back. She has been to about a half dozen games at this point, and I have taught her how lucky people are to get a ball during the course of a game. It is very rare. She is one of those that was lucky enough to get a ball back on Father's Day when Hideki Okajima handed her a ball on his way out of the bullpen and into the game. I saw her excitement, and she saw mine. I'm certain she wouldn't throw it back, no matter who handed it to her, or where it came from.

What I love about the video is that you can see the shock and awe in the father's face, but he quickly does the right thing and lets his daughter know that it is alright. In fact, her throwing the ball back has been a blessing in disguise. Not only did they get personalized Phillies jerseys, the father got a baseball signed by the same player that hit the foul ball. Plus, America got to see how good a father Monforto is. I feel like this story could teach politicians a thing or two. Regardless of political affiliation, when you disagree with what just happened, hug it out and make things right. It's not about you, it's about the greater good of those around you. I'm just saying...