Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Here's a hot topic, and I don't mean that creepy store in the mall...

Same sex marriage. Those three words, for some reason, have become an extremely touchy subject in Maine since the passing of a bill, on May 6th of this year, allowing same sex marriages in this state. The law was supposed to be in effect starting September 11th, but will now be subject to a people's veto in the upcoming November elections. Despite becoming the fifth state, the first of which was not the result of a judges decision, to allow same sex marriages, at least 55,000 people didn't like the idea, forcing it to go on the ballot and be voted on. Recently there have been commercials claiming that Mainers will face real consequences and that homosexual marriage will be taught in school whether parents like it or not.

Now with all that being said, I pose this question. Why is this a big deal? Why does anyone feel it is there place to fight this law? What makes a marriage between a man and a woman any better than that of a two women or two men? How does a marriage between Bill and Brian affect me? I recently read an article that spoke of the unintended consequences of same sex marriages, and I have to be honest with you, if allowing gay people the same rights as straight people is a consequence, then I think we are all going to be just fine. Now, keep in mind, I was brought up Catholic, which is strictly against homosexual acts, calling it a tendency toward an intrinsic moral evil; and thus the inclination itself must be seen as an objective disorder. I apologize to anyone out there that believes this to be true, but I just can't go along with that. While being brought up Catholic, I was also brought up being taught that you need to love all people and have an open mind. Seems to me that not allowing two people that are in love to get married is just wrong.

Now what about, gasp, the idea that "homosexual marriage will be taught in school whether the parent likes it or not"? Oh, the horror! What next, are we going to teach our children that the world is round? Wait, it is? Same sex relationships are a part of the culture today, and hiding from it isn't going to make it go away. I want my daughter to understand the ways of the world before going out and conquering it. I want her to understand that not everybody looks and acts the same as her, and that people have different cultures and ways of life. Why should that bother me, or anyone else?

As you can see, it's clear which side of the debate I fall on. What isn't clear to me is why there are really two sides to this. I realize everyone has an opinion, and that I'm not always right, I get that. But what I don't understand is why this bothers people that will never be affected by it. I love my wife, and am fortunate enough to be married to her. Why should it be any different for Bill and Brian? I'm just saying...