Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I always thought B2B meant Business To Business...

So I got the email I've been waiting for last night. As I sip on my can of Rolling Rock, and just before I reach for a slice of pizza, the message comes through that Nichole and I were both selected, via a lottery, to run in the Beach to Beacon 10k in August. I knew the possibility was there, but now it was a reality. We have been recently running more and more, hoping that we would get in. It was, however, a little ironic to get the email while chowing on pizza at Howie's Pub with the gang. Now the fun begins, and where the hell do I start?!

From our driveway, we have two different routes that we have mapped out, knowing exactly where the 3.1 mile mark is to run to, then turn around and head back home. There are hills, twists and turns. To this point, we have been running, but not with any real purpose. Now I need to determine a pace, one that I can stick to and continue with the entire time. I have a time in mind that I want to be at, so now I need to get my pace figured out so that I can achieve that time.

We have recently changed our diet to a lot more fruits and veggies and a whole lot less big breakfast Saturday and Sunday mornings. I'm a meat eater, plain and simple. I like me some bacon with my breakfast. I enjoy a nice steak sandwich, or a juicy burger from the grill. Well, I'm limiting the intake of all of the above, and increasing my leaner meat intake, more specifically chicken and fish. As I type this I'm snacking on some yogurt, and I have some carrot sticks and a pear for an afternoon snack. I'm really trying to get this food intake thing under control.

Motivation has never been my best friend. Well, it has to be now, since I will be running 6.2 miles on August 7th and anyone with an Internet connection will be able to see my results when I am done. I need to determine what days I am going to run, and I can't sway from that schedule. I need to build up my stamina and be able to maintain my desired pace. I have some work to do, but with a little over 4 months to prepare myself, I know I can get there. Time to kick lazy, and myself, in the ass and get out there.

Lastly, I'm really excited that Nichole and I both got in. It's something fun we can do together. We can be there to motivate each other when we aren't quite feeling up to running, to push each other a little harder than we may want to go, and to simply have that motivating factor to get ourselves in better shape. Exercise and competition are both extremely important to us, and I think this will be a great test for us. Time to make a running playlist, starting with Eye of the Tiger! I'm just saying...