Monday, April 4, 2011

We got an invite to the party!

Now, before you get all excited, thinking it was some cool party, it wasn't.  I mean, it is a fairly exclusive group, but not because they aren't trying.  They just have an odd way of going about things.  They meet every Sunday, and those in the group are super passionate about what it is they are trying to do.  Do I agree with some of what they are saying, sure, I do.  However, there is a ton of things I just can't agree with.  The party I"m speaking of is, none other than, the Tea Party of Cumberland County.  Yup, the Tea Party.  Now, let me tell you how this came about...

Saturday night started off pretty innocently.  We were supposed to meet friends out in Auburn, but Nichole caught a strange case of insomnia and we decided to turn in early and get some rest.  On our way home, we were discussing what to eat for dinner.  We decided to jump off the diet for the night and grab a pizza from Mario's Restaurant in New Gloucester on our way to the homestead.  When we went in to pick it up there were a handful of guys chatting near the cash register.  While we were waiting for our pizza to come out, one of the guys starts talking politics.  I look at Nichole, away from the other guys, and plead and beg her not to butt in.  I just wanted to get our pizza and go home, and I now where this conversation could go, as I quickly realize we view things differently than they do.   That's right, she couldn't help herself, and jumps right into the discussion. 

We quickly learn that the most vocal guy in the group is a member of the Tea Party.  I have no problem with that, we are all different and have varying views on how to make things better for both Maine and the country.  What I do have a problem with is the ridiculous double speak and continuing use of talking points that comes spewing out of his mouth.  During the conversation we all agreed that Governor LePage and the legislature are really just distracting the public by arguing about whoopie pies and murals.  We both agree that by distracting us from the real issues, we don't call them out for not doing anything to get Maine back on the right track, which is, in my opinion, what is going on right now.  Then our new "friend" starts to go places that I will never agree with...

Before I know it, the conversation has continued outside, and our pizza is getting cold.  Things turned from local politics to the national scene.  I agreed with Mr. Horr (seriously, his last name is Horr, pronounced whore, I'm not making this up) that we should not be in Libya.  However, he then tried to tell me that the only reason we are there is because President Obama wants to strengthen his ties with the Muslim Brotherhood.  Come on, really?  Then why aren't we in Tunisia, Egypt or Bahrain?  Give me a break.  Then we got onto the subject of same sex marriage.  He started out by saying that he doesn't care what people do, as long as he doesn't have to see it, but marriage can only be between a man and a woman.  Wait, which is it, do you not care or do you?  Sounds to me like you do care, even though you JUST told us you didn't.  I asked him why he would care if two men or two women got married, how would that bother him.  His rebuttal was one of the most insane arguments I have ever heard, and I let him know that.  He said, and I quote, "I love my truck, can I marry my truck?".  My quick response was, "if that is your argument, that is just dumb".  Seriously, marry your truck?  Stupid. 

The next few minutes were spent discussing how "the people will screw things up and re-elect President Obama".  I said, hold on a minute there big guy.  Are you telling me that Palin is a viable option?  What about Michelle Bachman?  How about Newt Gingrich?  Donald Trump?  If the Republicans are putting one of these people forward as President Obama's opponent, I don't see how they have a chance to defeat him.  If they put up a viable candidate, anything can happen.  Then he went off the reservation, in my opinion.  He promised us that the world would end in three years if President Obama was re-elected.  Yup, Armageddon.  End of world.  All because of President Obama.  Looney Tunes stuff right there.

After about 30 minutes, we were finally going our separate ways, as I had heard enough and was climbing into the car.  About 4 times he told us he would love to have us come to one of their meetings, that they need young, involved people like us.  I feel like he missed the part where we didn't agree with much he had to say?!  I am absolutely frustrated with how things are going right now.  That being said, I want nothing to do with the Tea Party.  Like I said earlier, there are some things I agree with, but only to an extent.  Plus, I'm not taking political advice from a guy that drives an El Camino, keeps a toilet in his driveway, and has a last name like Horr, I just can't do it.  Plus, he's responsible for creating a controversial sign back in 2008, during the presidential campaign between Obama and John McCain.  I'll find a different political group to join, which I'll talk about tomorrow.  I'm just saying...