Friday, April 22, 2011

My thoughts are deep, deep I tell you...

Welcome to today.  It's Friday, Earth Day, Good Friday, the start of Easter weekend and it's sunny out.  My brain is all over the place today.  Oh, and I'm tired.  There, now that all of that is out of the way, how is everyone else doing?  Great, grand, wonderful!  Moving right along, today's post will be more a hodge podge of random thoughts that are dancing around in my head than anything else.  Feel free to continue reading, or get back to your regularly scheduled programming, it's all up to you.  If I were you, I know I would keep reading, this is riveting stuff, trust me...

The Royal Wedding.  I'm sure you've heard about this.  Holy hell, we've all heard too much about it at this point.  Every news outlet, magazine, tabloid, newspaper, website and whatever else is talking about it.  Let me ask you this, why do we care?  What is the big deal?  None of us are getting invited, and if you did, that set of steak knives or can opener isn't going to cut it as a gift.  Seriously though, why is this such a big story?  I don't care, and I'm anxious for it to be over so we can move on to potentially, but not likely, more newsworthy stories.

Earth Day.  How are you celebrating Earth Day?  Are you one of those that thinks it is a big joke and today is the day you just leave your car running in the driveway all day while heating your house with you stove and spiking your hair with Aqua Net?  Or, do you take it very seriously, and plant a tree, turn your thermostat on your hot water heater down or pick up some recycling bins for your household trash?  Nichole and I take this sort of thing very seriously.  Will we make a huge impact, no, but we can, at the very least, do our part.  We are currently looking to trade our SUV, which gets about 22 MPG in for a more economical hybrid, which will get us about 50 MPG.  We planted seeds to start our first garden about two weeks ago, and we are picking up a new composting bin to help feed our garden.  We already recycle our bottles and cans, as well as cardboard, tin, glass and plastics.  We have changed our light bulbs to CFL bulbs and are continuing to see what else we can do to make a difference, no matter how big or small.  I hope that all of you are too.

My music interest are varied, and depending on the day or my mood, my selections can change drastically.  Lately, however, I've been mildly obsessed with Brett Dennen, Ray LaMontagne and Florence and the Machine.  I just can't listen to them enough.  There have been others splashed into the mix, but they are dominating my at work playlist lately.  If you haven't heard of them, or have only heard very little of them, give them a looksee.  They are all really great musical talents, and I can only hope they bring as much joy to your day as they have been bringing to mine lately.  Oh, and speaking of music, I still think Jane Says by Jane's Addiction is my favorite song of all time.  It just never gets old.

Speaking of addictions, Words With Friends on the iPhone.  Wow, obsessed.  Maybe not as bad as when I first discovered this gem, but obsessed just the same.  It's simply Scrabble via a cell phone.  You can have many games going at the same time, and you play at your own pace.  It's a lot of fun, and it's even better when you win, because there is a chat function, for the wonderful smack talk!  Wanna play against me?  You can find me via Facebook, Twitter, or just type in markastevens into the search function.  I'm going to warn you, though.  I don't lose.  Well, maybe a little, but I won't anymore!

Hey, things are looking up.  It appears to finally be getting warmer outside, the Celtics are up 2-0, the Bruins tied things up 2-2 last night, the Red Sox are creeping back up toward .500 and it's damn near the weekend.  Here's hoping that you all have a wonderful Easter weekend.  I know I'll be all hopped up on Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs, and I'm very excited about it.  I'm just saying...