Tuesday, August 3, 2010

This is not at all how I pictured it when I was a kid...

When I was a kid, I knew exactly what I was going to be doing when I grew up. There was never any doubt what my profession would be. I was going to be playing basketball in the NBA. Not just that though, I was going to be the next Larry Bird. I was going to carry the Boston Celtics on my shoulders for about 12 years, winning championships and MVP's along the way. I remember being about 10 and playing basketball in my bedroom on my hamper hoop, both hitting the game winning shot and doing my best Johnny Most impersonation at the same time. There was never any doubt. Flash forward to this morning, as I'm ironing both my shirt, and Nichole's. It hit me, what the hell happened to me?! This is not at all how I pictured it when I was a kid.

Let me start off by saying that I am not complaining. I am the luckiest man alive to have an amazing wife and daughter, a wonderful family, a great house in the woods and more friends than a person deserves. I have a great life, it's just not what I expected when I looked in the mirror 20 years ago. I'm not supposed to be ironing our shirts at 7:00 AM before driving to the office for another round of 9:00 to 6:00 on a Tuesday morning in Maine. I should be sleeping in, getting ready to go to the gym for some off season training with the boys, getting ready to make another push for a championship in Boston. What the heck happened?!

Well, for starters, I'm not good enough at basketball to go pro, let's be honest. I mean, I love the game, and I can hit a jump shot every now and then, but being a foot taller than most everyone else in the 4th grade doesn't translate into that same sort of dominance down the road. I spent nearly every waking moment as an adolescent playing basketball, watching basketball or collecting basketball cards. I would say I was obsessed, I think that is a fair assessment. Though, in high school, I finally realized obsession doesn't lead to scholarships and recruiters from Division 1 schools. Heck, it didn't even mean recruiters from Division 3 schools, and my dream was quickly fading. I was alright with it then, and I still am now. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved living that dream, but I wouldn't trade my life for anything, even if it means I have to get up at 7:00 AM to iron both my shirt and Nichole's. I'm just saying...