Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The joys of the information age...

Everyone loves being plugged into the world, all day, every day. Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, FourSquare, whatever social media application you prefer, it's out there for you to connect with the world. People young and old are logging on and chatting with relatives and friends they haven't seen in years. Friends know where each other are because we are "checking in" everywhere we go. It's all really a great way of staying in contact with friends and family that are out of the area. There is a downside though, and that is that we are learning WAY too much about each other. While updating your status or tweeting can be good for learning updates on people and places, it can also tell us things we would never want to know. For example, the following is an actual update found on Facebook...

"i have a huge and oddly smelling c^nt"

Now, chances are, somebody left their computer open and logged in and is now paying the price. However, this sort of "update" happens fairly often. We all have at least one "friend" that fights with his/her significant other, airing all their dirty laundry for all to see, like this gem...

Boyfriend:
"ENJOYING THE NIGHT AWAY FROM MY GIRLFRIEND, IF YOU CAN CALL IT THAT ANYMORE. JUST CHILLING RIGHT NOW ON MY PS3 GAME AND THEN MAYBE A NIGHT ON THE TOWN AND MYBE SOME "DESERT LATER".The night has just gotton started".

Boyfriend:
"GIRLFRIEND ITS BEEN OVER FOR TWO MONTHS NOW. SEND THE POLICE AND i WILL BE GONE. I WILL MOVE TO BANGOR WITH MY KIDS AND YOU WILL LOOSE A MAN THAT LOVES YOU MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE. bUR THATS YOU CHOICE SO SEND ME AWAY. LOVE YOU ALWAYS. ALWAYS HAVE. YOU JUST NEED TO GIVE BACK SOMETIEMS UNSTEAD OF ME GIVING, GIVING ,GIVING AND NOT GETTING ANYTHING IN FETURN. AND BY THE WAY WHAT i SAID ABOUT GOING OUT AND THE DESERT THING WAS LIE TO GET YOU GOING. yOU BROKE MY HEART LAST NIGHT AND i HAVE TREATED YOU LIKE GOLD FOR THE LAST TWO WEEKS. SO ACT YOUR AGE AND STOP THREATENING MY TO MOVE OUT. i MISS THE OLD dES WHEN WE YOU TO GO FOR WALKS AND DO THE WILD THING ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE. LOL i MISS THE FACT OF YOU WANTED ME SO MUCH THAT I ATUALLY HAD TO SAY NO. i LOVE YOU BUT i KNOW YOU DON'T FEEL THE SAME. SO ITS YOUR CHOICE. hOPE YOU MAKE THE RIGHT ONE. LOVD"

Girlfriend:
"u r making me fall out of love with u by ur disrespectful thoughts and just way more u cant just let me be me and figure things out well here it is i am done dont use me as the reason u r not going to b with ur kids GO BE WITH THEM U R WHAT THEY WANT AND NEED ....NOW EVERYONE KNOWS I SAID BE A FATHER.....COZ U JUST LOST UR GRILFREIND.... "

Boyfriend:
"Fine then if thats what you want then so be it. I will be out soon. You suck there goes my heart being broken again. I hope this is what you want. GOOD bye"

Boyfriend:
"maybe I will stop in and see my ex. Atleast she didn't treat me like this".

Girlfriend:
"boyfriend u brought this on ur slef not me ok so hit the town fine ur ex my heart has been broken for a long time now u still just dont respect me if u did there would be things that i asked u not to do but u do i am tired of everything ok just plain tired.... i am not going to be ur excuse for u being misarable..... i know i am and have been for sum time but as for u i dont know and i not figuring things out anymore i am just worring bout me ...............this is what happens when well enough is not just left alone!!!!!!! oh and ur ex treated u worse than i ever have and dont compare me to that slef less cute u call ur wife i am not a thing like her THANK GOD"

Boyfriend:
"I am not miserable at all. I am just upset that you don't want to spend the rest of you life with me. You totaly live seperate lives from me on purpose. You know I get up early for work so that means that I have to get up early for work. You stay up all night and then go to bed. Girlfriend I have don't nothing but kiss your ass and it seems to get me no where with you. Why can't you try to love me like you used too. We couldn't keep are love from eachother or from anyone else. You breaking up with me is a poor excuse if i have ever heard one. Is it that you found someone else. Because my heart belongs to you and always has. I forgave you time after time for cheating on me and you can't forgive me for something that happened when we wheren't together. Thats fucked up. about the sex thing, yes I am mad. I am a man and I need things to complete our love life. Its not everything. I try to make you love me by getting you flowers and helping you out when I can. I buy you kids toys, I used to take care of Journey as if she was mine. SO whats the problem. Why can't you talk to me about these things instead of just ignoring me. COmunication is a big part of a relationship. I love you. Things will get better again as far as money is concerend when my hearing is over and ( my feeling haven't changed about us since the day we first met. I love you with al my heart. WHy can't you do the same.) I am not moving back with my kiids or going to get with my ex. It was said out of angor. I love you, please write me back. XOXOXOXOXOXOXXOXXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO"

Girlfriend:
"i told u to well enough alone u didnt and as far as me cheating well i dont believe i never had ur heart or u would have a devorice and yeah u got me flowers and in a hissy fit u put them in the trash really doing shyt to make me happy like fighting with me with my kid around not kool just a lot of shyt boyfriend and i as a person deserve to be happy and right know i am not just like last time u broke up with me while u had planned to hook up with another chick the night b 4 u got the balls to leave oh thats right i found u out and threw u out this is my last i cant keep doing this".

The above was an actual fight between a "friend" of Nichole's and what appears to be his now ex-girlfriend. Note to everyone, we don't care. We enjoy laughing at it, but don't need to know any of it. I mean, it makes me appreciate my education a whole lot more, and there is certainly some comedic value to it, but it's nothing that needs to be done via social media. While it's great that people are able to instantly connect, there should be some simple rules you follow when entering info onto these social media sites. Please don't elaborate about your man bits or lady parts. Nobody really wants to know. Don't have a fight with your boyfriend or girlfriend, especially if you are grammatically retarded. I'm just saying...