Thursday, August 19, 2010

I've seen a lot, but this is a first...

I've been to a decent amount of Red Sox games. I've been to Opening Day. I've been to a playoff game. I was at Manny's last game. I was at the game before Buchholz threw a no-hitter. I saw Nick Green hit a walk off homerun in extra innings. I've seen fights, players ejected, been down on the field and had pictures taken with ownership and players. I've seen a lot. A rain delay was not something I had ever been a part of, until last night.

As we do each year, we won tickets through Big Brothers Big Sisters and the annual Bowl For Kids Sake fundraiser we participate in. One of the games we recieved tickets for was for the game yesterday against the Seattle Mariners. We had been rather excited about it for a while, looking forward to the chance to head down to historic Fenway with some friends. We were able to pick up an extra ticket and bring down my daughter, which she was super excited about. Nichole and I each took a half day at work, and our friend Casey came down from Bangor to go with us. We loaded up the car around 2:00 and were on our way.

Red Hook was our dining destination of choice, where we grabbed a couple of beverages and some fine cuisine before getting back on the highway. We pulled into Sullivan Square shortly after 6:00 PM and made our way to Kenmore Square just before game time. It's been raining lightly since we've been in town, but it's never been a hard rain. We are hopeful that the game will happen as scheduled, but nobody seems to know for sure. We hang out in front of Cask-n-Flagon, hoping to catch a glimpse of a television that will give us some insight on what is happening inside the gates of Fenway. We can see that the tarp is on the field, but still no word on whether or not the game is going to happen or not. Still unsure, we head to Jerry Remy's eatery on the backside of Fenway Park to meet up with buddy Jay and his lady friend. After purchasing a $6.75 Bud Light, which is highway robbery, by the way, we see POSTPONED pop up on the television screen.

That was probably the longest drive I have ever taken for a beer. It was probably the most expensive beer I have ever had before too. Gas, tolls, parking, dinner, snacks and the extra ticket were all purchased so that we could drive to Boston to have a Bud Light, great investment, right?! So now, here we are, sitting at work on a dreary Wednesday, trying to figure out what the heck we are going to do about tonight. See, the Sox and Mariners were already scheduled to play an afternoon game today. Now, our tickets are good for a 7:15 PM game this evening. Currently it is raining in Boston, and the forecast isn't getting much better as the day progresses. Do we suck it up and drive down? Do we try to sell the tickets at a deeply discounted price? Do we say screw it and just go home after work and go straight to bed? I'm leaning toward option 3. I'm just saying...