Friday, April 16, 2010

Some random thoughts to lead you into a rainy and cold weekend...

First of all, this weekend's weather is going to suck. Temps are supposed to be in the low 40's, rain and the nasty "s" word are possible all weekend. All I really wanted to do was get my lawn mowed, put in a patio and get some various other outdoor projects at least started. Well, that won't happen, sounds like I'll be inside trying to stay dry all weekend. Since the weather has me all doom and gloom heading into the weekend, thought I would try to perk myself up by tossing some random thoughts for discussion out there. Here it goes...

The lovely Tea Party folks decided to rally all across the country yesterday. Being April 15th, tax day, they decided they would all hang out near the various state's capital buildings and in places like Monument Square, while shouting something negative about Obama and/or complaining about taxes. Newsflash y'all, this isn't the first tax day, it happens every year. We all hate it, now move on.

Apparently rapper Jay-Z is suing Boston Red Sox DH David Ortiz over the name of Big Papi's night club in the Dominica Republic, the Forty-Forty Club. Turns out Mr. Z has himself a number of clubs around the world called the 40/40 Club. They have accused Ortiz of trading on the fame, value and goodwill of their name through his club Forty/Forty and its website, www.fortyforty.net, which they say has caused their business 'marketplace confusion and damage,' the lawsuit said. Hey Jay-Z, if I were you, I would worry less about this non issue and work on fixing your joke of an NBA team, the New Jersey Nets. Jigga what?

Parents in Temple, TX are asking for paddling to be brought back as a form of punishment in the school system. Really?! I thought smacking a kid was banned nationwide years ago?! Apparently 20 states, most of which are in the South, still can legally use corporal punishment. I'm sure a politician will attempt to ban this form of punishment altogether very soon. In a country where physical punishment is outlawed in prisons, I'm not sure how in the hell it is still allowed to happen in schools. I'm sure the kids are acting better, for fear of taking a wooden paddle to the ass in front of classmates, but I don't see this lasting long before it goes away for good.

Best show on television right now is, hands down, Modern Family. I'm not sure if you have seen this show or not, but you have to. It's on ABC on Wednesday nights, and it is effing hilarious! It follows the lives of three families, all related, and has got to be one of the most realistic, laugh out loud funny shows in a long time.

A majority of people in South Carolina didn't vote for Barack Obama and many didn't want any part of his stimulus cash, and folks in a particularly poor, hard-hit town near the Georgia line were no exception. Until the stimulus money showed up. Is it so bad that the money was sent to all parts of the country to help spur the economy? Or would you have felt better if the government didn't give this money and so many people would be out of a job, living off your hard earned money while that sit at home watching tv? Either way, we are paying for it, might as well get more out of it I say.

Now that the weekend is officially here, I'm going to wish you all a very enjoyable holiday weekend (Patriot's Day is on Monday, who knew!) and I will be back on Tuesday to entertain you. Now off to enjoy me some Alvin and the Chipmunks with Miss Kerrigan! I'm just saying...