Friday, October 2, 2009

Back to the future, nah, more like ahead to the past...

There is nothing better than the 1980's. Big hair. Cheesey music. Beverly Hills Cop. Garbage Pail Kids. I mean, seriously, find me something better and I will probably just say "PASHAW". I'm completely obsessed with everything 80's right now, but more specifically the music. I've built up a good collection of tunes, somewhere around 200 different songs spanning the decade of decadence. I've read tons of "top" lists from all sorts of people, and it's interesting to get peoples takes on what was good and what was bad back then. I find it especially entertaining when people talk about how "poorly written" a song was, or "how especially cheesey" it is. Hi, that pretty much sums up music from the 1980's. Wasn't that kind of the point. Anyways, reading all these sites made me want to put my own list together, with a quick reason for why I selected these songs. My top 10 song list of the 80's look something like this...

10. Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up

Now, I know what you are thinking, but hear me out. Just try playing this song without grinning. It's so bad you can't help but like it. Plus, this mashup is one of the most amazing things ever!

9. Skid Row - I Remember You

Ah yes, Skid Row. Power Ballads at their best. I love singing this, as loud as I can too.

8. David Lee Roth - Just Like Paradise

I was never huge on Van Halen, not that I didn't like them, I just didn't get way into them like some of my friends did. I did, though, enjoy some David Lee Roth. This was far and away one of my favorite songs.

7. Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Tonight

This song brings me back to my late grandmother's house, hanging out in my Uncle Joby's room, dancing around to this song. I vividly remember thinking this song was the coolest, back when I was my daughter's age.

6. Huey Lewis & The News - Hip to be Square

This bar band turned mainstream was a surprising favorite of mine. Not until I started putting my new playlist together did I realize how many Huey Lewis songs I liked. This just happened to be my favorite, by a smidge.

5. INXS - Devil Inside

Long before JD Fortune came around I was really into the old school INXS. They had a handful of really good tunes, but this one sticks out to me.

4. Living Colour - Cult of Personality

These guys rocked. I was obsessed with this song for a number of years, and still crank it every time I hear it.

3. Guns-n-Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

Every list has to have at least one song by these guys. They were light years ahead of their time, and if not for Axl Rose being a complete whack job, would have ruled the charts for a much longer time. Name me a bad GNR song (pre Chinese Democracy, of course)... Can't do it, they ruled!

2. Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

Speaking of having multiple songs by at artist on every list. The King of Pop was in a category all by himself. Take away all the controversy and whackiness, and MJ was the most influential artist of the 80's. He put out hit after hit and will forever be the King of Pop.

1. Journey - Don't Stop Believin'

Not only the greatest song of the 1980's, it's the best song ever! Come on, play it and don't get excited, I dare ya. You cannot do it. You know the words, and you always crank it when it comes on. Best song ever, hands down.

Now, I had a handful of songs that were close, and could jump onto this list from time to time, depending on how I'm feeling. These 5 are right there too...

Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
Madonna - Open Your Heart
George Michael - Faith
Bon Jovi - Bad Medicine
Poison - Nuthin' But a Good Time

I want to hear your favorite songs of the 1980's. There are so many great (well, bad, let's be honest) songs I didn't mention. What does your list look like? Also, feel free to agree or disagree with my list. I'm just saying...