Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I'm taking a pulse, assuming there even is one...

I fancy myself a bit of a political junkie, but I've been pretty quiet over the past couple of months.  There is so much happening on a daily basis to talk about, but sometimes it is better to sit back and take it all in then to jump into the fray.  Well, fray, here I come.  Based on posts from friends on Facebook, I'd have to say I have many more Democrat friends than Republicans, but there is definitely a good amount coming from both sides on a regular basis.  I haven't said too much on either side of the aisle, despite the many thoughts that come to mind as I read it all.  That said, I have noticed a general theme, and it has lead me to an observation.

One thing that I have noticed is that Obama supporters are just that, Obama supporters.  They will point out disagreements they have with Romney or the Republican platform, but it almost always includes reasoning as to why they support Obama.  In reverse, Romney supporters aren't really Romney supporters, they are Obama haters.  I see continuous posts about how great Reagan was, or anti-Obama posts all the time, but very little in the way of anything supportive of Romney.  I'm not convinced any Republican is actually excited about Mitt Romney.  It seems to me like it is another year of Republicans holding their collective noses and voting for the R because they hate the other side.  What I would love to hear is a Romney supporter actually give me reasons why they are voting for him, and they can't involve Obama bashing.  I'm not sure any can do it.

I hear all the time about how awful Obama has been for this country.  I keep hearing about how bad his foreign policy is and how much he loves big government.  I want to hear how Mitt Romney will be better, and it cannot involve the lie about how Obama runs all over the world apologizing for us.  I want to hear what good Romney will bring, period.  I understand that President Obama hasn't delivered on everything he promised 4 years ago, I can admit that.  While he hasn't brought the two sides together as well as I had hoped, let's be honest, it's not possible as things currently stand.  There is nothing he could say or do that would please Boehner, McConnell or Cantor.  There is nothing the president could change that would provide Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity with a positive segment about the him.  No matter what President Obama says or does, he will have Republicans like Rep. Allen West, former presidential hopeful Rick Santorum and Rep. Steve King standing there arguing against him.  I'm not convinced anyone could truly bring both sides together. 

So please, if there are any self proclaimed Romney supporters out there, please feel free to respond.  I'm curious what your thoughts are on Mitt.  I completely respect differing opinions, and welcome them with open arms.  For whatever it is worth, I will completely respect you for standing up for your pro Romney reasons, even though I won't necessarily agree with you.  However, if you come at me with anti-Obama rhetoric, I don't want to hear it.  Many of you wouldn't vote for a Democrat if it was your significant other on the ballot, and I know that.  However, you should remember that an R or a D in front of someones name doesn't paint the entire picture.  There should be more to your decision to vote for someone than just a label.  Oh, and I AM better off now than I was four years ago.  I'm just saying...